Updated: 12 January 2010
The following obituaries were compiled by Kathy Linderholm, a descendant of Jane Woods (McKain) & Uriah Mason Adams. Unfortunately, AOL eliminated their webpages without notice and I am in the process of reloading this information. If you have obituaries of any family members please contact Jim Adams (adamsmckain at gmail.com) so that we can have a more complete family history. (NOTE: no spacing and change the at to @)
Bly Cemetery Records (from index of book by Corwin and Castle) Uriah M. and Jane M. Adams, Francis & Dorothy (Adams) Morse,
Thomas McKain (1818 - 31 July 1897) The McKain obituaries can be found on the McKain page.
Jane Morrow McKain (25 February 1816 - 28 June 1897)
Thomas & Jane (Morrow) McKain had 8 children:
1. Allen McKain (1839 - 07 February 1893) married to Mary (d. 18 May 1928)
2. David McKain (1842 - 1908) married to Sarah Essington McKain (Parts of the obituary are missing. If you have a copy of her obituary please send it to Jim Adams)
3. James McKain (1845 - 1916). In the 1833 Directory for Pavilion Twp., Kalamazoo Co., there is a James McKain listed. In the petition for Probate of the will of James McKain filed by Elvira Gant (village of Decatur) is the following information:
James McKain made his will on 29 July 1912, and died 08 March 1916. Mentioned in the will (in addition to Elvira Gant) are two brothers, William McKain, 51 of Decatur, and Joseph McKain, 54 of Detroit and two sisters, Esther Copley, 65, of Decatur and Mary Kinney, 68 of Oshtemo. Arthur L. Moulton and Isaac B. Bagley were the witnesses (and both died before the will was probated.) Farmed near Decatur, Van Buren, MI
From the Marcellus News (3-16-1916): "Mrs. George Adams attended the funeral of her uncle, Mr. James McKain, at Decatur Saturday." (NOTE: the 16th was Thursday, that would make the funeral the 11th)
4. Jane Woods McKain (02 January 1847 - 22 February 1913) married to Uriah Mason Adams (02 November 1832 - 05 July 1900)
5. Mary McKain (12 November 1847 - 27 November 1929) married to Nathan S. Kinney (09 March 1844 - 1927). Mary was a school teacher before her marriage to Nathan Kinney.
6. Nathaniel Joseph McKain (08 November 1851 - 21 November 1940) married to Norah Taylor
7. Esther McKain (1852 - May 1927) married to Edward Edwin Bennett Copley. Edwin & Esther moved to Decatur in 1892
8. William McKain (1856 - 1923) married Clara Guilfoil
Jane Woods McKain and Uriah Mason Adams had 6 children:
May Adams (28 February 1866 - 10 February 1954) married George
W. (Alford) Adams (28 January 1859 - 13 February 1941). Notes from Jack Adams: My grandfather, and Hazel's father, was born George Washingon Alford, Jr. After being taken in by Franklin & Lucinda Adams in the early 1860's he, or someone, changed his name to Adams.
His father was George Washington Alford, Sr. (Killed at the battle of Port Hudson, LA in 1863). His mother was Ann Maria Stewart, daughter of John Windecker Stewart and Nancy Wales Rathbone. John & Nancy came from Steuben Co., NY with Ann Maria and at least three other children about 1850 to Kalamazoo County.
George Washington, Sr. was the son of William Alford and Martha Ann McCullough, daughter of Dr. Patrick McCullough and Mary Hamilton, both from Scotland. They settled in Ontario, Canada. William came from NY state and married Martha when she was 14 years old. In 1837 William became mixed up in the McKensie Rebellion in Canada and prudently left the country, settling in Kalamazoo County. William died in 1849, and in 1854 Martha married John Windecker Stewart.
William & Martha had 14 children, seven lived to maturity.
Martha & John had one child, Mary Vista, she died as an infant.
John Stewart died in 1888 and was buried in the Liberty Street Cemetery in Kalamazoo County. Later, his wife, Nancy, who was buried on the Snow farm was moved to Liberty Stret and placed next to John. We are pretty sure that the Snow's that owned that farm were kin to Mildred Snow Adams Morse. Why Nancy was buried there no one knows at this late date.
2. Horace Chester Adams (10 September 1868 - 11 June 1953) married Roxanna Arvilla Bent (12 July 1876 - 07 July 1963)
3. Archie Leonard Adams (10 July 1871 - 11 May 1944) married Lillie LeBarr Douglas (14 December 1874 - 31 March 1974)
4. Mary Calista Adams (21 November 1875) married Claude P. Sykes (17 October 1871 - 16 October 1949)
5. Mason Clarence Adams (25 December 1877 - 04 June 1928) married Pearl Eisenhower (31 March 1883)
6. Dr. Ross Uri Adams (02 June 1883 - 29 September 1943) married Grace Elizabeth Daly (04 March 1896 - 27 September 1974)
Effa May Adams & George W. (Alford) Adams had 4 children:
1. Harry Alford Adams (09 August 1891 - 24 February 1947) married Marian Elizabeth Saunders (12 February 1897 - 17 September 1974)
2. Helen Mabel Adams (29 June 1895 - 23 June 1977) married William Leon Kunce (08 March 1897 - 08 December 1976).
3. Hazel Grace Adams (14 July 1897 - 06 November 1995) and Claude Amasa Lewis ( 12 May 1886 - 11 June 1958). They had a son, John "Jack" Keith Adams ( 05 Oct 1921 - 06 May 2007) and a daughter Jean.
4. Hyldred Eunice Adams (22 December 1900 - 09 February 1985) married Carroll Irving Gale (16 November 1895)
William Henry Harrison Alford 29 March 1840 - 27 November 1924) married Mary E. Fuller. They had a son Clyde Rudolph Alford. WILLIAM H. ALFORD, aged 84 years, died at the home of his son, Clyde Alford, in Texas Township, Thursday morning at 11:00 o'clock. He leaves, besides the son, one sister, Mrs. Gunn of Watervliet, and seven grandchildren. The funeral will be from the Truesdale's chapel, Sunday at 2:00 o'clock. Burial in Texas cemetery.
Horace Chester Adams & Roxanna Arvilla Bent had 3 children:
1. Dr. Uriah Mason Adams married Clarice Ann (Emma) Nemmers
2. Leslie Bent Adams married Mildred Snow
3. Dorothy Marie Adams married Francis Morse
William Alford (d. 04 August 1849)
Mrs. Caroline (Webb) Kinney (30 June 1833 - 21 December 1909)
Franklin Bildad Adams (11 January 1828 - 04 June 1910) was a brother of Uriah Mason Adams and married 1st (23 October 1850) Lucinda Fletcher (12 April 1830 - 10 May 1879) and married 2nd (15 March 1881), Anna Fletcher (20 February 1856 - September 1946)
Franklin Bildad Adams (photo)
Lucinda Fletcher Adams (photo) daughter of Thomas & Barbara (Ulery) Fletcher.
1. Franklin Bildad. and Lucinda had 2 children:
a. Horace Hale Adams (27 September 1857 - 08 April 1860)
b. Clara Lucinda Adams (28 January 1859 - 28 February 1946) married Dudley L. Thornton (06 January 1860 - 1943)
2. Franklin B. and Anna Fletcher had 2 children:
a. Franklin Kinney Adams (09 October 1882 - 12 October 1955) married Josephine May Burhans (22 September 1884 - 27 April 1944)
b. Horace Herbert Adams (21 July 1884 - 06 December 1976) married Iva Woods (21 July 1886 - 09 November 1968)
This page is maintained by Jim Adams of Door County, WI (USA)
Send family information, obituaries, letters, diaries, pictures, etc. for inclusion in the family history to (adamsmckain at gmail.com)