Updated: 24 February 2010
Please reload/refresh this page for the latest updates.
If you have family information, photographs, diaries, etc. of Stephen Kinney and related families, please contact Jim Adams (adamsmckain at gmail.com) for inclusion on this page.
Stephen Kinney (born 20 Aug 1794 in New York - died 10 June 1847 in Porter Township, Van Buren Co., MI). He married (1) Lucinda Colvin about 1806. He married (2) Hannah Wright (born 06 Oct 1793) on 19 March 1810. "Stephen was the brother of Elijah Kinney and came from Milan, Ohio in the fall of 1836 with his wife and 8 children, accompanied by a John Webber and John Bennett." (Source: Kathy Linderholm). Stephen's children are: (not necessarily in chronological order)
1. Hiram Didymus
2. Ahiva or Ohira Gates
3. Orrin Gates
4. Lorainne Lucinda
5. Lucretia Orella (twin born 17 July 1818 in Huron Co, OH)
6. Lucinda Lorainia (twin born 17 July 1818 in Huron Co, OH - died 05 Aug 1902 in Galena, Jo Daviess, IL) married William Austin Hill (b. 24 April 1811 in Blandon, Worcester, MA - d. 16 Oct 1864 in Sandusky, OH) on 22 Nov 1835 in Milan, OH. He was the son of Joseph & Johanna (Kibbe) Hill. He was married first to Orilla Grey Falley and married Lucinda after Orilla's death. Lucinda & William had several children -- John R. is one of the middle ones. The last ones died in Ohio and are buried by William Austin Hill's grave. Portrait of Lucinda Lorania (Kinney) Hill. The photo studio is Myers of Marcellus, MI.
7. John Beatty (twin born in 1821)
8. Mary Beatty (twin born in 1821)
9. Elijah Mason
10. Dianna Elizabeth
11. Fidelia (twin
12. Cordelia (twin
13. Stephen Hiram (b. 07 May 1833)
The 14th child may have been Elizabeth or may refer to Dianna Elizabeth
Only eight of the children came with their parents from Ohio to Michigan in 1838. Due to deaths and/or older children may have already left home. In the 1850 Census (Porter Township) the Hannah Kinney household consisted of Hannah (age 57 of New York), Elijah (25, OH, farmer), Diane E. (22, OH), Cordelia (19, OH), and Stephen (17, OH, laborer); also Mary L. Colvin (7, MI) and Warren S. Corey (21, NY, farmer). The next household on the page is the Orrin and Rachel Kinney household.